Breaking News

'Tennis can be a cruel sport for the body',Tsitsipas on Murray's retirement

In a press conference at the Australian Open, Stefanos Tsitsipas commented on Andy Murray's retirement from tennis. The Greek player admitted that going through injuries is a very bad side of the game. 'Tennis, it can be a cruel sport for the body. There's a lot of pressure, a lot of running', Tsitispas said. 'It's really tough for the body to, I would say, deal with that day-to-day play.

Yeah, it's a sport, not like other sports, every part of your body is working. It's really important to have a healthy career, a long career, with no injuries. That's number one priority for my career. It also depends on the style you're playing, the way you approach your thinking on the court. If you tend to play long rallies, I mean, aggressive baseliner, you're probably, yeah, going to have much more running to do than a serve and volleyer, someone who is an all-around player. Yeah, I thought about it. I'm really sad to see how Murray felt after that press conference that he gave. I felt sorry for him. I respect him a lot. He's a really nice guy, I would say one of the nicest guys on tour. I mean, I'm going to miss him. I would love to see him on the tour more, yeah.'

Asked how he played against Matteo Berrettini after losing the first set, Tsitsipas replied: 'Obviously better. I'm happy – it was not easy. Last year was very tough mentally to deal with that loss. I know Denis is a great player, but I didn't quit, yeah, I wouldn't say I played well in that match. Of course, yeah, it happens. So, yeah, really happy that I managed to play somehow, not maybe play well, but find solutions in the second set. It was very hot. Conditions were rough for us to play and compete. But, yeah, we both served very well. As I actually said in the interview before, the match is going to be decided in few points on our serves, maybe tiebreaks, which happened. We played two sets of tiebreaks. Points were very close. Everything was, yeah, very close. I'm happy I stayed calm, stayed aggressive. Didn't think too much of what the score is. Focused more of me being aggressive, making him feel the pressure.'

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2MbanPk

No comments