Breaking News

Zverev: Tennis will be in good hands after Roger Federer, Nadal retire

In an interview to local reporters ahead of the World Tennis Challenge in Adelaide, the world no. 4 Alexander Zverev commented on the much-discussed topic about the changing of the guard that is yet to happen in tennis. The 21-year-old is aware that overtaking such legends like Federer and Nadal is not easy. 'Roger and Rafa are the two greatest of all time maybe so it’s hard to let go of that, it’s a natural change of tennis,' said Zverev. 'After Sampras and Agassis retired it was the same thing, people were saying ‘who’s going to be next’ then those guys came along, it’s always going to be like that. It’s going to be an exciting time for the young guys.'

On Federer, to whom he lost at the Hopman Cup in Perth, Zverev added: 'I know Roger well. We all enjoy having him around, it’s not like you want him to leave as quickly as possible. It's great to see tennis will be in good hands, as the other guys get older obviously tennis will change and we can rely on the young players.'

Borna Coric headlined the World Tennis Challenge. The world no. 12 finished his season in late November as he won the Davis Cup final for Croatia and he decided not to play any official event prior to the Australian Open. 'My pre-season hasn’t been much, I have had only two weeks to prepare. I came here very early, to Melbourne on Tuesday afternoon, here on Saturday. I didn’t have much time to prepare after the Davis Cup', said Coric. 'It’s very important for me to play these two matches (in Adelaide) because I have not played any matches (recently) and I am looking forward to playing. It’s going to be good fun and I will try some new things I have been working on in last few weeks.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2RnqIX3

No comments