Breaking News

Belinda Bencic: I played a great match

Belinda Bencic and her form against the Top-10 players continued as she humbled defending champ and world No. 1 Naomi Osaka, 6-3, 6-1, to reach the BNP Paribas Open quarterfinals.

Bencic, who is on a 5 match win streak against opponents ranked in the Top-10 said, “I played a pretty great match. That’s what you have to do against a great champion like Naomi.”

Knocking on the Top-20 door as she is presently ranked at No.23 on the WTA Charts, Bencic has been a former Top-10 player herself, ranked as high as No.7 in the World. Injuries though halted her progress as she underwent a wrist surgery in 2017, leading her ranking to fall outside the Top-300.

But that is not letting the Swiss star stop. “Some injuries set me back,” said Bencic. “I’m just enjoying being back on the court again. I’m just feeling great on the court right now. I feel like the hard work is paying off.”

Speaking about her opponent Osaka, Bencic added, “Well, you know, definitely it's inspiring, because we all -- as I said in Dubai already, we try to push each other. One is doing well, so you're motivated to do well again.”

“Sometimes, you know, the success, like, everybody has their own timing, you know. So sometimes it takes longer; sometimes it takes faster.”

She ended by saying, “I think it's nice to have so many different girls that play different. It's nice (smiling).”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2T4ueBv

No comments