Breaking News

David Ferrer: It's my last year on tour, win over Zverev means a lot

David Ferrer upset the world no. 3 Alexander Zverev to reach the Miami Open third round. The Spaniard gave it all as he has always done in his career, and he defeated the German in three sets, 2-6, 7-5, 6-3. The Spaniard won against Sam Querrey in the first round and he will now face Frances Tiafoe. Ferrer is playing for the last time in Miami, where he reached the final in 2013, losing to Andy Murray. "It means a lot," admitted Ferrer, who will play in Barcelona and Madrid as part of the final stage of his farewell tour. "It's a special day because it's the last year of professional tennis for me. Winning these type of matches against a Top 10 player like Sascha is a gift. I'm very happy and I'm trying to enjoy every point and every moment. My motivation is playing at a high level and be competitive. It's my goal. I can't play at my best level anymore, but I want to have good energy and play my best in every match."

Another victorious player on Saturday was Reilly Opelka who defeated Diego Schwartzman in three sets. The American was satisfied with his performance although he admitted he could have served better: "It just wasn't a good serving day. Didn’t hit my spots well or serve a high percentage. It was one of the worst service performances of the year. But he is one of the best returners in the game and he breaks serve more than anybody. I am happy that with my biggest weapon not working and coming off food poisoning two nights ago that I was still able to beat a great player. It shows there is more to my game than my serve and this match really showed that. I had to scrap for a lot of points."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2WnafQm

No comments