Breaking News

Grigor Dimitrov: 'I am almost in tears. It has been a rough road'

Grigor Dimitrov was very emotional at the Miami Open following his first match win since the Australian Open. The Bulgarian had skipped Rotterdam, Acapulco and Indian Wells tournaments due to a shoulder injury. He said: "I'm almost in tears, to be honest. It's been a rough road for me so far, but I'm just very pleased to be back on the court. Not many expectations for myself and I'm trying to make the most out of every day I can get out there. I didn't even think I was going to play here, so I got a chance to play and wanted to make the most of it. It’s been a long road for me since Australia, so I just wanted to come on the court and spread my wings a little bit. It’s been a lot of time off the court. I could still do my fitness and maintain my game, but I couldn’t serve for over a month. I’ve been going through a lot of treatments, a lot of rehabs, a lot of everything. To come and play sort of pain-free is nice and I’m just thankful to be able to play this tournament."

Dimitrov was uncertain whether if playing in Miami or directly shifting to clay: "I didn’t even think I was going to play here, so I got a chance to play and wanted to make the most of it. It’s been a long road for me since Australia, so I just wanted to come on the court and spread my wings a little bit.”

On how he managed to heal from the injury, Dimitrov concluded: “It’s been a lot of time off the court. I could still do my fitness and maintain my game, but I couldn’t serve for over a month. I’ve been going through a lot of treatments, a lot of rehabs, a lot of everything. To come and play sort of pain-free is nice… the repetitions and hitting take time, so I’m not expecting too much of myself this tournament.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TsjBZy

No comments