Breaking News

Destanee Aiava wins first ACT Claycourt International

Destanee Aiava won the ACT Claycourt International held in Canberra on her fourth attempt, further admitting a sense of relief after doing so. Aiava clinched the title a 6-2 6-2 victory against Japanese talent Risa Ozaki at the Canberra Tennis Centre.

“I felt pretty good, the match was tougher than the score looked and I’m just really happy to get the win in Canberra finally," Aiava said. "Today was more mental more than having a game plan and I'm just glad I kept my cool during the match and everything worked out.”

"It's my first title this year, I haven't got off to a good start, so it's good to get the win under my belt before I go to America. I'm feeling confident."

She failed to complete the double at the event when she and her partner Ellen Perez fell to Tereza Mihalikova and Naiktha Bains 4-6 6-2 10-4. "Those girls played pretty well so you can't do much about that," Aiava said.

Aiava is set to feature at the WTA Event in Charleston where she plays doubles with fellow Australian Astra Sharma. "I think I'm going pretty well at the moment, I'm working more on my fitness base and am looking forward to going to America," Aiava said.

"My goals this year are just to go do deep in the draws in the bigger tournaments and look after the body as well.”

"I'm still 18 but pretty much have to be like 30-year-old on tour, but that's what comes with tennis.  I just stay in my room by myself and watch TV shows."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2U39oal

No comments