Breaking News

Edmund: 'I have much respect for Federer, but he is just another opponent'

What is like to have Roger Federer on the other side of the net? Kyle Edmund answered this question in a press conference following his 6-1 6-4 loss to the Swiss at the BNP Paribas Open. "I wasn't really looking at that today", admitted Edmund. "He was just another player to me. I have lots of respect for him, but he's just another opponent. It's too easy to give lots of respect to people these days. So off the court, I admire him so much, but on the court, I want to beat him. I don't want to be his mate or anything. A lot of this stuff for next time, if I was to play him, say, tomorrow, there is lots of stuff I can improve on first before I start looking on the other end, cleaning up a few areas. Right at the start the serve wasn't going well but got better towards the end. Was maybe rushing and trying to press things a little bit too early from the start, but towards the end I allowed the rally to sort of work its way through before I went for my shots. There is a lot of things that I'd love to clean up on if I was to, you know, play another match like that soon."

On his next tournament, the Miami Open, Edmund added: "Miami, different conditions. Obviously more humid. Heavier just because the ball doesn't fly as much I think everyone is keen just to get there and have a feel of it, get the feel of the courts. Something a little exciting, as well, being at a new venue. Yeah, I'll look to head out now and try and just have a new environment, freshens up your mind, as well."

Edmund is satisfied with how he has done over the last weeks. He won the Indian Wells Challenger earlier this month. "Putting today aside, like last night, for sure, looking at it, it was a very, very positive few weeks for me with the challenger and winning two matches against decent players, and the way I won and controlled the match and how I was on court. Very positive. You know, it's been, like, two weeks of competitive tennis since Australian Open and since my body's felt in a good place again. So that is positive that it was coping and feeling good, and I was feeling confident in myself with my body. Those are all tick boxes and my game was getting better and better and in a good place. So, you know, that is a positive leave from Indian Wells, and there is lots of stuff to work on from today, as well."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TWJPI0

No comments