Breaking News

Fernando Verdasco to miss Miami Open due to fatherhood

Fernando Verdasco will not play the Miami Open. The 36-year-old is spending time with his wife that is about to give birth to their first son. Verdasco skipped Indian Wells Masters as well and he is set to be back on track in Marrakech on clay next month. The Madrid native was set to make his 17th appearance in Miami. Last year he lost to Pablo Carreno Busta in the third round. Verdasco achieved his best results in the tournament in 2009 and 2010 reaching the quarter-finals. He made his debut here in 2003 losing to Carlos Moya in the third round.

Verdasco played his last tournament at the Dubai Championship losing to the eventual winner Roger Federer in a three-set second round. Explaining the reasons behind his appearance in the Arab tournament, Verdasco said: "I come obviously because, after so many years on the tour, I've been everywhere actually, actually many times (smiling). I think to Dubai I came four, five times. I been mixing up. Last year I play in South America. The year before I play here. I like here, but obviously, I like also Acapulco. I think this week both tournaments, the 500s, they're amazing. Is really tough to choose. If I play obviously Europe, I come here. If I play South America, normally you stay in Acapulco. It's hard to come over there. Like Bedene was coming from Rio. He's pretty strong to do that. I think I'm not able to do that just because of the jetlag. Obviously is an amazing tournament for many, many years. I still remember coming here, first time I think was 2005 because I still remember I lost with Ljubicic in three sets, even 7-6 in the third. Imagine how tough was that match."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2W83XnR

No comments