Breaking News

I can physically switch to clay this year again, says Roger Federer

In an interview to TennisNet, Roger Federer reflected on what led him to decide to play on clay again this year. The Swiss plans to compete in Madrid, and at the French Open. "I feel I can make it physically this year," said the Basel native. "This was different in 2017 and 2018, because I was not ready for it, the switch from hard to clay and grass. I spoke about it with the team, everyone was okay with it. I wanted to be back on the court in the spring."

Does it mean he will have a farewell tour this year? "Nope, that was not the plan. The question was: will I play on clay this year or not? The answer was yes. Playing in Paris in 2019 does not mean it has to be my last run there."

Federer also spoke about what's probably the highlight of his career: "The 2017 Australian Open after a one-year break, the longest break of my career, was an unrepeatable moment. I took time to comeback, to take the right decisions with the right people. That was important as well: you need a perfect environment for your life on tour."

Federer never gave up during his career: "I was always ready to be consistent, for me, it was good to work with a familiar and well-coordinated team, whatever it was a coach or fitness trainer. I was always very lucky with all my coaches and the people around me. It was important to stay together through ups and down."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HigUb5

No comments