Breaking News

I hope to hit a tweener like Federer did against Djokovic' - Shapovalov

Denis Shapovalov shared all his admiration for Roger Federer through a question and ask session on Reddit with his fans during the BNP Paribas Open. Asked what is his favourite shot, the 19-year-old Canadian replied: "My jump backhand is probably my favourite. I hope to one day hit a tweener as Rog - like the one he hit on Novak at the US Open."

What are his favourite players? "Roger on the men's side, Halep and Osaka on women's side", said Shapovalov, who also wishes to face Federer one day in an official match.

In a press conference, on the next generation of players from Canada, Shapovalov added: "We had such a strong group, the '99's and 2000's, there were ten of us doing amazing for juniors, and that's super important. You know, we had a bunch of rivals. We were always competing against each other. And sure enough, there is only a couple of us that kind of shot up. But I feel like ever since then, Felix and I have been sort of competing against each other in a way. I remember in juniors he kind of shot up, and then I got to his ranking, then I won Wimbledon, then he won the US Open. So we have kind of been competing against each other, and now we have again with this tournament, the last couple of events. I think it's just super healthy for us. On the hand, we wish the best for each other, but on the other hand, we are kind of getting inspired off each other's results. So it's pretty important to have kind of rivalries like that. But I just think, yeah, it comes from being young, getting inspired from these big guys. Like myself, I really try to give back to the younger guys, younger students in Canada, you know, I try to make time for them, talk with them, even hit with a couple of the players that are growing up, just to kind of give them inspiration and insight to what the tour is like. Just motivate them to keep climbing."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TGqRG9

No comments