Breaking News

Petra Kvitova: Handling pressure not easy, I understand Naomi Osaka

In a press conference, Petra Kvitova commented on Naomi Osaka's personality. The Czech player admitted that handling pressure will not be easy for the Japanese player. "I think that she is kind of shy person, probably like me in the time. It was really difficult for me, that time, for sure. I totally understand Naomi. It's not really easy to handle the pressure and attention and the media, press, whatever is happening in her life. Of course, splitting with the coach is nothing really easy, as well. Everything she been through, she really trying. That really counts. That's nice. I think she just needs a little bit more time to get used to all of the things which (is) happening in her life."

Asked about when she had gotten used to the attention around her, Kvitova replied: "I think it took me like a year probably. But I don't really remember it that well. It's taken me a while, for sure. Then three years to win another Grand Slam. It's been a while. I was still in the top 10. I was still fighting. In the big stages, I couldn't just do that. On the other hand, it's about experiences, it's about coming to the court and knowing that you are the favorite of every match. Every player on the other side wants to beat you. She's No. 1, Grand Slam winner, everyone just wants to beat her. That's how the players are thinking. They are going to play someone from the top 10, for example. I do remember when I was young, I totally had the same mindset. Yeah, that's how it is."

Would she give Osaka any advice? "I don't think so. She just needs time. I don't think there's any advice. I think that she just need to live it and find experiences from it. She will be fine."

Osaka lost to Bencic while Kvitova lost to Venus Williams in Indian Wells. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Wa6Nc7

No comments