Breaking News

Playing French Open doesn't help Roger Federer's Wimbledon chances - Laver

The 80-year-old Rod Laver still visits several tournaments around the world, having a huge passion for the sport. The Australian legend was in Indian Wells last week and he had an interesting interview with Blick. "I like watching tennis, I like to be a part of it. When I travel over all these places, I see my old friends of the tournament. Some of them came just to Australia, others just in the United States or Europe. I was not in Paris for a couple of years but this year I will go there", said Laver.

And he will be able to see Federer again there. "I hope so, he was not there fo a while. Roger may play again there. But there is also the 11-time tournament champion Rafael Nadal... And we do not have to underestimate Novak Djokovic either."

Was Federer's decision to play well on clay a good one? "Maybe not the best one, but a good decision. Roger should do what he wants and what his heart says. I do not think he will go to the French Open thinking he will win it. But he will think, I can win it, because why shouldn't he have one more chance?"

Is he taking a risk? "If he has to play a lot of best of five sets matches for more than four hours, it's not an advantage for Wimbledon. It would be a pity, because I think he really has good chances to win again."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2WeVI9w

No comments