Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'Game will be fine once we retire, new wave is coming'

"That's hard to answer now that I'm going to be a commentator or a coach. I doubt that I will be that, especially, you know, right after I retire. I do have four children, and I like being in Switzerland, and I like probably taking it easy and deciding where I want to go from there. I have never commentated or coached in my life before, so.. and being back on the road for 20-plus weeks is not going to happen. I have done that enough for the last 20 years. So if I do it, it's in a different capacity, I believe. I'm also a strong believer the game will be fine.

Whatever problems we are facing now on the Tour or whatever void you're talking about, we have so many cool events on the Tour, maybe Masters 1000 or World Tour Finals, Slams, Laver Cup, Davis Cup, ATP Cup, there are so many cool events to attend that always generate new superstars, either in the local market or internationally. I think a lot of guys have a fascinating story to tell, but right now they focus.. they choose to focus on still our story, that Rafa is still going, I'm still going, Novak is dominating. All these things, it's very cool.

That new wave is coming through. That new wave is inevitably going to win Slams and tournaments and then we will hear more about them. So I think it will be fine, but I think it will be a transition, no doubt about it, like when Pete and Andre started to go away and we had a lot of different Grand Slam champions at that time, which I thought was quite exciting. But people said, like, where is the guy that wins all the time? And then when you have a guy winning all the time, then they say, where are the guys winning separately? It's never quite right, but I think we will be totally fine."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2VSYocP

No comments