Breaking News

Roger Federer: Next Gen campaign reminds me of when I was growing up

In a press conference at the Miami Open, Roger Federer commented on the ATP strongly promoting the Next Generation players. The Swiss faced the Russian Daniil Medvedev in the fourth round on Wednesday and he enjoyed the match, beating the youngster 6-4, 6-2. 

"It reminds me very much of the campaign I was part of when I was growing up, the New Balls Please campaign," said Federer. "There we had some older guys – I mean, older, it was Guga and Kiefer and Tommy and guys that were actually a few years older. So they mixed it a little bit more. It was just not the generation, I guess, of Agassi and Sampras. I thought that was nice to sort of tie us young guys together. It's not the young against the old, but it maybe feels a little bit like that for the young guys that they look towards one another to be the best of that group, and then naturally, if you're the best of that group or top three, you can then also become the best of the next group, which is the main group, you know. And I think it really fuels them with motivation, you know, to be able to be better than, you know, a similar-age guy. You know, I think in juniors you always have that. When you come on the big tour, all of a sudden you're trying to compare yourself to (the) world no. 1, which seems like such a mountain to climb. So it's maybe better to have it done in the way like what the ATP did with first become the best NextGen guy. I think for that reason, I think it's worked very well."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2uAWQIG

No comments