Breaking News

Serena Williams backs female footballers to get equal pay as men

In a press conference at the BNP Paribas Open, Serena Williams commented on female footballers trying to get paid as much as men. Serena, who defeated Victoria Azarenka in her opening round match in straight sets 6-3 7-5, said: "I do know that the pay discrepancy is ludicrous [in soccer]. It's a battle. It's a fight. We have had some incredible pioneers in our sport that stood up in the '70s and said, with this dollar, those women said we're going to get paid what the men get paid. They stood up way back then. I think at some point, in every sport, you have to have those pioneers, and maybe it's the time for soccer. I'm playing because someone else stood up, and so what they are doing right now is hopefully for the future of women's soccer."

Serena's voice mattered a lot on the International Women's Day, and it did not come by chance. "[Friendships] are not super common with a lot of top players, but recently, I think in the past few years, it's been more common than it was when I first came on tour. I'm close with a lot of the ladies on tour. So I think it's getting more common, and it's great because a lot of us travel. We see each other more than sometimes we see our own family members. I feel like we, in the group in the locker room, have gotten more supportive than it was when I first came on tour and just grinding every week. We play against them, but they are also our colleagues, and I feel like that's how I try to look at it."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2EQSnGt

No comments