Breaking News

Zverev: 'I don't think about Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal's Majors'

Alexander Zverev believes that focusing on his career is the priority. The German player believes there is still a long way to go for him to catch up with the legends of the game. "When you start to play, you can't think that Roger Federer has 20 Grand Slam titles and Rafael Nadal almost as many. Definitely not. You think about your career, about getting better, about doing your best to win what you can win. Without thinking about others", said Zverev.

The 21-year-old holds three Masters 1000s and he thinks that a bigger credit should be given to this tournament's category: "Every time we win a tournament, there is a "story", a remarkable story to remember. The Masters is not fully appreciated. It's really hard to win it. Only the best players play it. Even in the Grand Slams, you don't have to win against five as good players to lift the trophy. I have the feeling to have already done much to have an impact on the history of our sport."

Speaking of his childhood, Zverev added: "I just did other sports because I was an active kid and only sports could calm me."

He concluded: "When I was young, my dad kept repeating it. There are always young players that play matches, tournaments to win at all costs. My dad was telling me: "you have to play this way, and if you lose, you lose, and that's it. It's no big deal. You don't need to be number 1 in the world at 13 years old. It is on the tour that it matters. It is when you are an adult that you will have to be the best." That is why he taught me the game so well, I think. He was telling me to be aggressive, to hit the ball, and no matter what would happen then as long as it was done in the right direction. That is why I am more successful now than other young players."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2JoOaiQ

No comments