Breaking News

Ferrer:'Spanish tennis has a bright future, but there won't be a new Nadal'

In an interview, David Ferrer commented on how the situation of the Spanish tennis looks like once Rafael Nadal retires from the professional tour. The former world No. 3 said: "Players like Rafa will not be there again, that's impossible. What Rafa has done is something we have to enjoy and appreciate because he was at a very high level and know that in the future you will have a lot of great players like me but not Rafa Nadal. Pablo Carreno was a top ten player, now he is injured but he will be a player who will be close to the top ten, a Grand Slam or Masters 1000 win. Then you have the 15-year-old Carlos Alcaraz who already won ATP Rankings points, but you have to make them go on their way, you don't have to set goals or put extra pressure, just let them evolve and get better."

Asked if all the buzz around his upcoming retirement are influencing him, Ferrer replied: "I have not too many thoughts in my head because I am focused on ending my career as best as possible, obviously it will not be like the other tournaments but I will try to make it feel like this. I am very happy for managing to do it so far and I am sure that I will be happy when everything finishes."

Ferrer recalled his 2013 French Open final loss to Nadal: "Reaching a Grand Slam final is always nice, I had also reached the semifinals previously and I was very happy for that opportunity. During the match, I did not play my best tennis but that experience helped me to get better. But anyway it would have been very complicated to beat Rafa who was the clear favourite."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2IYlHhW

No comments