Breaking News

People still remember my win in Rome over Roger Federer, says Volandri

In an interview to Sky Sport, Filippo Volandri reflected on how beating Roger Federer at the 2007 Rome Open made his popularity grow a lot. Volandri retired from the professional tour a couple of years ago and he now works as a Sky Sport commentator and head director of the Italian tennis federation. "That match is the memory that marked people's mind. Still now, many people, when they meet me, say: "I was on that court that day". And it's not like the stadium includes 60,000 people! I had many successes in my career that makes me proud but that was really the perfect match, against the player who stays the most in people's mind because it was Rome, the Foro Italico, because I am Italian obviously and that mixture made it unique and unrepeatable. I often remember that moment especially when I head into the Foro Italico. It happens I see other players playing on that court and tears are on my face because I would like to play that match again. The only regret I may have is that my girlfriend and my daughter were not there that day even if the baby girl already watched it on TV", said Volandri.

Obviously, playing on clay helped him: "Clay has always been my favourite surface because I was able to deliver my game as better as possible on that surface. Clay made my family earn a living, get so much from the sport and every time I thank clay, tennis and Foro Italico because it always opened so many doors."

Federer said that Rafael Nadal was his toughest rival.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2L4vIgb

No comments