Breaking News

Alexander Zverev: 'I am still No. 5 in the world, top 10 on Race to London'

Alexander Zverev and Marcelo Melo are best friends on Tour. The German player spoke in a funny way about the Brazilian doubles player. "He has never won a singles match in his life – you can actually Google that. He’s a 35-year-old man who’s still single and doesn’t have a girlfriend. His best friend is a 22-year-old who does everything for him – organises all his hotel rooms and trips", said the Hamburg native.

On how winning the Geneva Open can help him, Zverev added: "Yeah, a lot. In Geneva, I won a lot of tight matches that I lost this year on the clay, and, you know, I think Geneva helped me today, as well. Obviously very different conditions out there. Very difficult to play today. But, you know, I think it's great that I came through and this is the most important."

Zverev is satisfied with the year he is having. He believes that some positives can be taken as he won the Geneva Open last week defeating Nicolas Jarry in a three-set final and reached the Acapulco final. "Everybody keeps on saying I had a tough year. I mean, I'm still No. 5 in the world. Any of you guys know what I am on the race to London? I'm top 10. So it's not that bad, to be honest (smiling). Somebody's having a tough year is probably outside of the top 50 or something like that. I'm still top 10 of the race. So that's what matters", said Zverev.

On the next round against Mikael Ymer, Zverev added: "We played in Stockholm. It was a great match. Tough match. Obviously, he's improved a lot. Had a few, I think, very good matches here. Came through qualifying. He has great rhythm, great confidence. It's going to be an interesting one. I know his brother better than him. I actually did a training block this year with his brother. Yeah, it's going to be a fun one."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2MgDbJS

No comments