Breaking News

I'd like to face Federer,Nadal or Djokovic as late as possible - Berrettini

In an interview to Tennis Italiano Matteo Berrettini was asked if he would like to play against Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic and in what tournament. "I would like to face them as late as possible because they keep winning everything but I grew up with Federer's myth. For how we live tennis in Italy, the match against Roger is a dream. In Italy the technique prevails over other things, we admire a good shot. When you see him playing, you cannot do anything but like him. In other cultures, the desire to win and Nadal's fighting spirit gets praised more", said the Italian. Now players respect him more as he has got more success: "The first thing is when they say hi to you. One year ago they were like, Who is Berrettini? Is he lefty, tall, short? Now instead they know me. The first one who made me join the group was Gael Monfils who is always smiley. In the ATP everyone thinks about their own things if there are a new younger players they do not care too much about friendship. In tennis, it works like this. But I like to think that in a few years ago I will make a guy join the group..."

He finally commented about how his life on Tour has changed: "I remember the Ortisei Challenger against Dustin Brown in 2014. I was impressed by facing him, people asked me to make him sign some autographs. But I headed into this draw over a very short time. Last year in Rome I was looking at the draw: Murray, Fognini, Berrettini. Then I won in Gstaad and sometimes I look back at that success, at the choices I made. You look at the improvements you made since then, at the choices you took."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2UWyRyo

No comments