Breaking News

Monfils: 'Beating Rafael Nadal in the French Open would be a miracle'

In an interview to L'Equipe, Gael Monfils commented on his goals for the upcoming French Open. The veteran French player said: "French Open is my goal, I am not afraid of saying that. Winning the French Open would be a miracle, but miracles exist, we already saw that in sports. Beating Rafa Nadal in the French Open final, yeah, that's a miracle! But I believe in that."

Monfils also recalled Stan Wawrinka's 2015 French Open win: "I wrote him a long message a few days after. When he won, I was happy for him and he made me feel well. And he is the first one who tells me that if I have belief, I will win a Major. I trust him and I try to trust myself too. I admire him a lot. It was great what he managed to do. I see him doing all the sacrifices and that inspires me. There are many things I cannot do. That's an example."

Monfils said that he and his girlfriend Elina Svitolina prepared a documentary about the last 6 weeks. He then added: "Roland Garros is my goal, I am not afraid in saying that. Winning the French Open would be a miracle, but miracles exist, you saw that in sports. You beat Rafa Nadal in the French Open final, yeah, that's a miracle! But I believe in that", said Monfils, who had not competed for more than a month until his loss in Estoril but hopes to compete in Madrid next week.

On Djokovic, Paul Annacone said: "If Novak stays healthy, there’s no reason he can’t dominate for the next two or three years. If you win a couple of majors a year, that’s amazing for most people, but I think it’s very realistic for Novak."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2XZTMm6

No comments