Breaking News

Petra Kvitova: I could not do what Serena Williams did with motherhood

Petra Kvitova met reporters on Friday in Madrid recalling the hand incident she went through in December 2016 at her house in Brno. "It's true that I went through complicated times in my life, that's why I say that my biggest win was to be back playing tennis," said Kvitova, who is one of the many Czech players competing at the highest level. There are six on the top 100 rankings, including her and Karolina Pliskova. "There is not a real reason for our success, we are a little country but with a big tennis tradition."

Kvitova would have become the world no. 1 by defeating Naomi Osaka on the Australian Open final. "The no. 1 (ranking) doesn't obsess me. I do not think about it when I head into a tournament or when I am playing it. I think that the goals that I had set were achieved."

Kvitova finally praised Serena Williams for her ambition to compete again after becoming mother. "I could not have done it. I would not stop to become mother and then play again."

She concluded: "If I have to indicate someone who can dominate tennis in the future, I (will) take Naomi Osaka."

Meanwhile on Twitter the 2012 finalist Tomas Berdych announced his withdrawal from the Madrid Open. "Hi Fans, unfortunately I have to skip the Madrid tournament, my body needs more time for recovery and preparation to be on the satisfied levels that I can compete with the best ones!! I want to thank Madrid for offering me a wild card but someone else will take it  :-)thank you for supporting me all the way!!" wrote the Czech.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2PLeSSp

No comments