Breaking News

Roger Federer: Nobody is underestimating me this week

Dominic Thiem said that some players are underestimating Roger Federer's abilities this week in Madrid, but the Swiss doesn't really think that's the case. Following his win over Gael Monfils in the third round, Federer said: "I think, like myself, anything is sort of possible, you know. The very good, the very bad, you know. But it's tough to just come out and play fantastic tennis. I also have to come to terms with how to play on clay again, what's normal, which points to lose and which points to win again. There's always these natural things that you go through for weeks on the clay usually, so I don't have that much time, so I have to accept errors that maybe I wouldn't do normally and just move on with it. I don't think anybody's really underestimating me because I'm not coming back from an injury. I've had a good start to the season this year. And it is pretty fast here in Madrid and I've won here in the past, so I guess players maybe know I don't have that much clay court tennis in me in the last few years, but that doesn't make me less dangerous to be quite honest."

On how it felt to win his 1,200th career match, Federer concluded: "I only heard it after the match that I reached 1,200. I didn't know about it going in to be honest. So, most special, I'm not sure. Maybe beating Ferrero in Australia to get world No. 1 for the first time, February '04. That gave me the chance to be world no. 1 for the first time. And maybe Safin as well in Hamburg 2002 when I won. That match made me, put me top ten for the first time. I think it put me into no. 8 in the world. And of course Wimbledon, 2003 against Philipoussis."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Jwao0O

No comments