Breaking News

Roger Federer: What Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and I achieved is great

In an interview with Le Monde, Roger Federer commented on how difficult was to handle people's expectations when he was winning on a consistent basis. "For years people were shocked when I lost a set, and journalists asked me questions like if I was not allowed to lose a match. Reaching a final or semifinal was too bad and a quarter-final was like if I lost in the first round. It became a bit too extreme, people were not clear anymore. Sometimes I was a bit frustrated that the results were not appreciated. Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic and even Andy Murray started winning everything and media thought it was normal. But it's not normal at all. What they did is just great and I am not sure all of them are aware of it", said Federer.

On how it felt to win the 2009 French Open achieving the Career Grand Slam, the Basel native added: "I never thought I would win, but it was clear that it was a bit frustrating, being so close to winning. It's true that in 2008 I lost a straight-set final (6-1 6-2 6-0) but the year after I came back and I won the French, which I am very proud of."

Asked why he did not retire following his 2014 Davis Cup win, which was the only trophy missing on the list of his achievements, Federer replied: "Good question. Yes, I thought about it. But I was like: "I do not still know what I want to do. And I do not want to retire if then in four years, all of a sudden, I wanted to be back."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2GXSQIi

No comments