Breaking News

Blake Mott on his dark period, wins over Stefanos Tsitsipas e Nick Kyrgios

Australian tennis player Blake Mott has opened about the darkest period of his career. 

Mott, 23, hasn't played since losing the US Open qualifying first round in 2017. 

The Australian achieved his career-high ranking of No. 220 in the world in June 2017. 

In an Instagram post last week, the 23-year-old announced his intention to return to tennis in September. 

"I was really in a tough spot. Winning or losing wasn't really important to me, I wasn't happy either way. I look back now and I didn't have any enjoyment either way, that was the hardest part," Mott told The First Serve. 

"For tennis players, we have a low spot once that (the Australian Open hype) finishes. On the futures tour it's not always that rosy."

En route to winning his maiden Challenger title in Launceston in 2016, Mott beat the current world No. 6 Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-1 6-4. 

"I remember thinking at the time, this kid is obviously going to be a great player. The big thing about being a top 50 player is consistency," Mott recalled. 

Mott also beat five-time ATP champion Nick Kyrgios early on in his career at the Melbourne Challenger in 2013. 

"I remember qualifying at the time. I remember going out there saying I want to test myself and see what I can do. On a personal level I knew him (Kyrgios), that helped me in that match," Mott revealed.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2yc4CL3

No comments