Breaking News

Georgia Tech's Cole Gromley reacts to his ATP debut at Atlanta Open

Georgia Tech sophomore Cole Gromley admits he struggled to "keep up" with the rhythm of Ugo Humbert in his first professional match. 

The 19-year-old Georgia Tech standout made his ATP debut in Atlanta after being handed a wildcard. 

The American fought well and hard but it wasn't enough as world No. 46 Humbert claimed a 7-6 (2) 6-2 win. 

Rising French star Humbert saved a break point in the ninth game before he dominated the tie-break to win the opener. 

Gromley's game fell apart after losing the first set as Humbert got off to a quick 4-0 second set lead. 

The American saved two break points in the fifth game to avoid a potential bagel. 

"He was just getting the ball on me so quick,” Gromley said post-match, as revealed on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It was pretty hard to keep up. I really thought I had the first set, so it was really crushing to the spirit.”

Gromley leaves the Atlanta Open in good spirits as he hopes to one day return to the US Open summer series. 

"I was kind of nervous the whole time – first time, so I thought I did pretty well,” Gromley admitted. "It’s a huge honor, and it’s a memory I’ll never forget."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Ze53Ak

No comments