Breaking News

Matteo Berrettini, 23, reacts to making maiden Grand Slam quarterfinal

Rising Italian star Matteo Berrettini was lost for words after reaching his maiden Grand Slam quarterfinal at the US Open. 

Berrettini, seeded at No. 24, handed a straight-set defeat to fellow rising star Andrey Rublev 6-1 6-4 7-6 (4) to become the first Italian quarterfinalist at Flushing Meadows in 42 years. 

"It’s something really crazy. I cannot believe it right now. I need a few hours to understand what happened," Berrettini said during his on-court interview, per the AFP.

"I’m just happy. Seeing my team and family here and crying, for me it’s unbelievable." 

Rublev recently stunned Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka en route to reaching the Cincinnati Masters quarterfinal as a qualifier. 

The Russian continued his fine form at Flushing Meadows as he beat Stefanos Tsitsipas and Nick Kyrgios en route to the round-of-16. 

"I think I did an unbelievable match. I thought Andrey was playing really good and playing with confidence," Berrettini acknowledged. 

"I was mixing my tennis, using the slice, forehand and serve. I think all my weapons were really good today.”

World No. 25 Berrettini plays next against the winner of the match between Gael Monfils and Pablo Andujar.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2zPDhip

No comments