Breaking News

Cancer survivor meets Rafael Nadal and Matteo Berrettini at the ATP Finals

Through a special co-operation between Cancer Research UK and the Nitto ATP Finals, a kid called Darwin, who healed from a bone cancer in his pelvis after being diagnosed with it at just four years of age, met top tennis stars like Rafael Nadal and Matteo Berrettini in London this week.

Darwin went through a year of chemotherapy and 30 doses of radiotherapy and he was honored to meet two of the biggest eight players in the world of the year. “I was very young when I was diagnosed with cancer and going through my treatment was really tough but I didn’t let it stop me chasing my dreams", he said. "I’m looking forward to watching the tournament this week and one day I’d love to play here too!”

Berrettini said: “It’s always good to meet the fans but I especially enjoyed meeting Darwin today. He’s been through a lot at a very young age and seeing the look on his face when I invited him down to play was great. He’s an inspiration to us all and I think he’s got a bright future in tennis ahead of him!”

Angela Hutchinson, Darwin’s mum concluded: “Darwin had no idea about the surprise but seeing him play with Matteo was just wonderful. When Darwin was diagnosed he could hardly walk, but he was incredibly strong and playing tennis really helped him gain the strength and confidence to recover. He never complains or uses his diagnosis or side effects as an excuse, and I couldn’t be prouder of his achievements and how far he’s come.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2qY3wlO

No comments