Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'Being at the highest level at 38 years of age seems unreal'

Several years ago Roger Federer's former fitness trainer Paul Dorochenko said that the Swiss player will compete until 40 years of age. Speaking to La Nacion the Swiss said: "I am not 40 years old yet, but I am not far away. Being competitive at 38 seems unreal. My dream and hope of playing for many years after becoming world No. 1 in 2004 was there. I spoke with my fitness coach Pierre Paganini, my fitness trainer, who is still working with me and I told him, I would love to be able to play against different generations. We will have a routine that allows me to achieve it. We will start scheduling it and here we are, 15 years after; I am still at the top with the best guys and it makes me very happy. It was a goal. But Honestly if you asked me at the time, I didn't think I would play at 34, 35 years. Not many guys achieved it. You ask yourself how it came, because the guys who achieved it was not at this level or they did it 40 years ago like Ken Rosewall or Jimmy Connors."

On his mindset looking to the retirement, Federer concluded: "I really try not thinking about the end of my career, because the more I think about it, the closer I would feel to this moment. I would like to be in the middle of my career or that it would be slower, but I cannot change it. Many people asks me when it will be the end, and I do not really know. I keep enjoying myself."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/36T2gkb

No comments