Breaking News

Tim Henman: 'Roger Federer was intimidated by me, so he skipped ATP Cup'

Speaking on Amazon Prime the former world No. 4 Tim Henman spoke about Roger Federer's ATP Cup withdrawal. Henman would have loved to face the Swiss from the bench but he has wirhdrawn due to family reasons and he will be replaced by Grigor Dimitrov. "I am looking forward to it. It was going to be Switzerland until Roger Federer pulled out. I heard that once he heard I was captain he was intimidated so I think we're playing Bulgaria now", said Henman laughing.

Henman also spoke about how it will feel to serve as a captain at the ATP Cup: "I'm really excited to be a part of it, and Andy asked me about a month ago. If I'm honest, it was not something that I had really given a great deal of thought at that stage. Then when we did discuss it, I think there are lots of reasons why I accepted, and I think one of the reasons is Andy. I have had a great relationship with him for a long, long time. The reality is he's not going to play forever, and when I think of the team competitions and if I were to be the Davis Cup captain, it's never something that's appealed to me really with the time commitment. But seeing this new event, the ATP Cup in Australia, I think when you look at the opportunity with the players, I think they've got 9 of the top 10 and 26 of the top 30, it's going to be very, very exciting. I look at the British team with Evans and Norrie and Jamie and Joe, and I think it's a great group of players. When the draw came out for the British team to be in Sydney, it was something I was excited about. It's where I won my first title in White City in '97. I'm pretty sure the sun is going to shine, so that's a lot better than here in the UK in January. I'm looking forward to it all."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/37cNjcO

No comments