Breaking News

Tomas Berdych announces retirement from tennis

Tomas Berdych shared when he felt it was the moment to retire from the professional tour. The former world No. 4 announced his decision on Saturday during the ATP Finals in London. "I don't know exactly the day and date, but it was very soon or very quickly after the US Open this year, because really, like, just the feeling that I went through on my last official match, it's been just one that told me, like, that's it. Like, you tried absolutely everything and the result is how it is. And also the perspective that the level that I was always chasing, you know, the top results and being in the top positions, and then you almost really fighting for the first match to win really like badly, and you fight with yourself, not really with the opponent. I said, like, Okay, that's it.

That's enough. In terms of just my body doesn't allow me to do so, and it's very unpredictable. I was able to train, practice, preparing, and then you get to the tournament, and then I play three games, the problem came back. Then what do you want to do? So it's very hard. You put all the, I would say negative stuff on the one side, and then the positive is to go on court, fight, win the match, and there was no chance to achieve that. There is no really point to continue."

Asked if he will play on the Champions Tour, Berdych replied: "Sport was my life from the kid, and I wouldn't change that, absolutely not. But if it's going to be in the professional terms or if it's going to be just as my hobby or whatever form, I really don't know. And I don't want to know. I just really want to have every next day as a clean sheet of the paper and whatever is going to happen is happen."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2NUU23z

No comments