Breaking News

Coach splits with Lopez to go work at the Rafa Nadal Academy

In an interview with Eurosport, Pepo Clavet spoke about the reasons why he stopped coaching Feliciano Lopez. "I like tennis a lot and I already have plans for 2020. I will start working with the Rafa Nadal Academy so I hope to be training for a long time. Even if it's true that as the years go on it's a bit tougher. As for Feli, I think his activity will depend on his rankings position, on his motivation. If we speak of tennis, I think he still has a lot of tennis on his racket."

Recalling the beginning of their co-operation, Clavet added: "Feli and I have been knowing each other since a long time and we started co-operating when I was with Fernando Verdasco and he was coachless for some time. For a while all of the three were together, it was a funny way to start the relationship. Later, at mid of 2012, he remains coachless and I was with Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, but we split in the middle of the season and we tried a bit during the Asian swing and the indoor European swing, until the end of the year. That's how our path started."

Lopez spoke about his run at the Davis Cup Finals in Madrid: "It's a very different situation to be playing, you know, only three matches and best-of-three sets in all of them, it's a completely different format. I think this format makes everything very even, this is my opinion. Because it used to be five points and now you have only three. But it's very exciting. So I think for the crowd and, in general, it couldn't be more exciting. For us, it's more demanding probably because also if you're playing in a week, it's very demanding physically. We were going to bed very late every day, almost every day around 2:00, 3:00, sometimes 4:00 in the morning."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/34NZ3Rv

No comments