Breaking News

Roger Federer's Wimbledon wins - No. 25 vs. Andy Roddick

In the repeat of the last year's final, Roger Federer claimed the third straight Wimbledon title in 2005 following a 6-2, 7-6, 6-4 triumph over Andy Roddick in an hour and 41 minutes. Twelve months earlier, Roddick won the opening set against Federer and stayed in touch until the end, unable to repeat that and suffering the third Wimbledon loss to Roger in as many years at the All England Club. Federer lost serve only once from two chances offered to Roddick. He mounted the pressure on his rival on the return and delivered four breaks from nine opportunities to become the third player in the Open era with three consecutive Wimbledon titles after Bjorn Borg and Pete Sampras. Also, the Swiss became the first player since Tony Trabert with a perfect score in the first five Major finals, joining the other legends at only 23. They had a similar number of service winners and Roger had the upper hand in the more advanced rallies, taming his strokes nicely to leave the rival empty-handed. It was the strongest start for Federer who broke Roddick twice in the opener for a 6-2, with the American opening a 3-1 lead in set number two.

Roger pulled the break back in the sixth game, wasting a set point at 5-4 but winning the tie break 7-2 to take another big step towards the title. 

"I feel like I put myself into a position to challenge Bjorn Borg and Pete Sampras in the future. It was a massive match for me. I knew the importance of the third Wimbledon title and was pretty intense going into it. I started to feel good after the first set and that gave me confidence. I should be the favorite at Wimbledon in the upcoming years, but that doesn't mean I will win it every year. It's hard for Andy because I played a fantastic match, one of the best in my life. I won't get bored so quickly, no way. Winning the second Wimbledon is a massive relief for me, having to fight hard to get through.

Today I played a perfect match, with everything working my way. I'm thrilled to win both the semis and the final without losing a set, especially after those defeats at the Australian Open and Roland Garros. When I broke him in the seventh game of the third set, I realized I'm eight points from the third consecutive crown. Everything was in my hands and I confirmed the break with a solid hold, giving my best to seal the deal at 5-4. For those who follow me since junior days, they knew I had potential. I don't think nobody would have ever thought it would be this extreme, dominating the game and winning three Wimbledons. I felt great right from the start, on both serve and return. I was down a break in the second but I knew I would have a chance to climb back. Andy is a great player and I respect him very much. I always had exciting matches against him and Lleyton Hewitt. So far, I have been lucky to avoid injuries and play at this level for a couple of years."

Roger Federer made the crucial move at 3-3 in set number three, delivering two comfortable holds to celebrate the third Wimbledon title in as many years.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3dorMjp

No comments