Breaking News

2020 US Open: Caroline Garcia packs off top-seed Karolina Pliskova; Osaka reaches 3R

World no. 3 and the 2020 US Open's no. 1 seed, Karolina Pliskova was the biggest upset of the tournament on Wednesday. France’s Caroline Garcia shocked the Czech 6-1, 7-6(2) in an hour and 33 minutes.

Garcia was untroubled for most parts of the match, except in the second set when Pliskova had two set points on her serve. Garcia not only saved the two set points but also extended the one-sided showing in the tie-break, winning it comfortably.

This is the first time since 2018 that the women’s top seed at Flushing Meadows has gone out of the event this early. Back in 2018, Halep as the top-seed was upset by Maria Sharapova in the first round.

In her post-match press conference, Garcia said, “I stayed focused, I knew that she was not going to give me the match, I stayed calm and that was the most important thing.”

Garcia will play the 28th seed Jennifer Brady in the third round. Brady defeated Cici Bellis 6-1, 6-2 in their round-of-64 encounter.

2020 US Open: Amid upsets, Naomi Osaka makes it through safely

Another upset of the day was that of Shelby Rogers’ over the 11th seed Elena Rybakina. The American won in straight sets 7-5, 6-1 in one hour and 27 minutes. Rogers will play Estonian 14th seed Anett Kontaveit in the third round. Kontaveit beat Kaja Juvan 6-4, 6-1.

Nineteenth seed Dayana Yastremska was also upset in the latter session of play. Unseeded American Madison Brengle ousted the Ukrainian in straight sets 6-2, 6-3 in 75 minutes. In the third round, Brengle will play Rogers.

2018 US Open champion and fourth seed Naomi Osaka reached the round-of-32 with a straight-sets win over Italian Camila Giorgi. Osaka barely broke into a sweat in the 70-minute match, taking a comfortable win 6-1, 6-2.

Analysing the match and her opponent after the win, Osaka said, “I never want to depend on what the other person's going to do. Even if I play a power player, my goal is to be the dictator. I think that I was able to do that quite well. I think when she was hitting really hard, I was able to neutralize. When I had the chance, I went for the ball that I wanted.”

Marta Kostyuk will Osaka’s next opponent at the 2020 US Open. The Ukrainian upset the 31st seed Anastasia Sevastova 6-3, 7-6(5) in the second round.

Photo Credit: Simon Bruty/USTA



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/32VEpzl

No comments