Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'One thing I do believe in is not wasting your talent'

Roger Federer has not played since the end of January, who after undergoing knee arthroscopy is recovering with a little effort. But the very Swiss champion, who will turn 40 next year, said he will be back on the pitch in 2021: "I will not retire soon. I still have a lot to give." In this 2020 Roger played only one tournament, the Australian Open. He epically won against Millman in the round of 16 - who was two points from the match several times - and Sandgren in the quarterfinals, the American had numerous matchpoints. In the semifinal Federer surrendered to Djokovic in three sets. Now the champion aims to officially return to the field at the Australian Open in 2021, even if he knows very well that nothing is taken for granted. In Roger Federer's recent video for BecomingX, the Swiss legend spoke about his role as an ambassador for the sport. The 39-year-old also highlighted the importance of nurturing one's talent while using one's passion.

Federer on his role as an ambassador for the sport

“Becoming World No. 1 and winning Wimbledon, sort of being the leader of the game in some ways or just a spokesperson for all male tennis players, I don't take it for granted,” Roger Federer remarked. “I really appreciate it because for me heroes are really important,” Federer continued. “You know I had Stefan Edberg, Pete Sampras, Boris Becker and Michael Jordan. I have a chance to give back, a chance to inspire.” The five-time US Open champion pointed out that it was difficult to horde such lofty ambitions in tennis in Switzerland. This is because the country is traditionally conservative and a very academic-centric nation. “I'm actually not quite sure exactly why I succeeded as much as I did,” Federer continued. “You don't aim for 20 Grand Slams. You don't aim for World no. 1 anyway, not in my world, not in my normal upbringing in Switzerland. I'm not sure if we dream this big, you know. It's not something that happens quickly or easily. If you're passionate about what you're doing, keep going, keep believing, reach for the stars,” Federer remarked. “Surround yourself with the right people and if you really go for it.” Letting one's talent go to waste, however, deeply upsets Roger Federer. The Swiss legend believes that talent can always be nurtured along with the assistance of the mind and body. “One thing I do believe in is not wasting your talent,” Federer asserted. “You can always control like your mind and your fitness I feel.”

 

from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/32u2TAh

No comments