Breaking News

Novak Djokovic could skip Tokyo Olympics

In the final of the ATP Belgrade-2 2021, Novak Djokovic met Alex Molcan, the surprise of the tournament. The Serbian defeated Andrej Martin in three sets and won the final of the ATP 250 tournament in Belgrade 2. The Serbian champion played an excellent first set, which ended without problems with a score of 6-1.

In the second set, however, Djokovic completely lost control of the forehand in the final part and sensationally put his opponent back into the game. In the last and decisive set, the Belgrade managed to find his shots and left the crumbs to his opponent, who did not take home a single game.

During one of the last interviews released before taking th ecourt, the 18-time Grand Slam champion questioned his participation in the Tokyo Olympic Games. He said: "I intend to play in Tokyo if the crowd are allowed. If not, I will think twice before participating."

Novak Djokovic could skip Tokyo 2021

Djokovic then commented on the choice of Noami Osaka. The Japanese champion has decided not to take part in any press conference at Roland Garros to bring out one of the main problems of the athletes. "I don't know why he made this decision. I understand that post-match conferences can sometimes be tiring, especially if it comes from a defeat. But it's part of our job. Importance of mental health? it is a theme that should not be underestimated.

There are many factors at stake, for example many doubles players who go around tournaments but with very low prize pools and find themselves with economic problems, even the fact of having to stay confined in the hotel and in the bubbles is tiring and has effects on some. really heavy."

Osaka, for her part, explained her reasons for her own social channels. "I am writing to inform you that I will not attend any press conferences during Roland Garros. I have realized, by participating or being the protagonist of these events, that very often people have no respect for the mental health of athletes.

Often we are asked the same questions dozens of times, on other occasions we athletes are asked questions that insinuate heavy doubts in our minds and crack our certainties. I myself, and I guess you too, have seen images of players being destroyed during interviews after a bad defeat.

Here I think it's like kicking a person already on the ground. I have excellent relationships with many journalists, but if the organization thinks it will change my mind with the threats of a fine, thinking it may ignore the mental health of its athletes, well I have a good laugh."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/34yD2ro

No comments