Breaking News

Rafael Nadal: 'I want people to remember me for my legacy and not my titles'

The 20-time Major champion Rafael Nadal has embraced quite a journey in the last 16 years, from a super fine clay-courter towards one of the greatest players of all time. Working on his game regularly, Nadal was always open and ready to improve and add different elements to his game to challenge the players from the very top. The Spaniard became world no. 2 after conquering the first Roland Garros crown at 19 and has never left the top-10 once he entered there in April 2005, despite numerous setbacks with injuries. Nadal was the Wimbledon finalist in 2006, mastering the fastest surface and winning the All England Club title two years later. Carried by this boost and extending his Roland Garros dominance, Rafa lifted the trophy at the Australian Open 2009 and secured a Career Grand Slam at the US Open 2010, still at 24!

Rafael Nadal has always given his everything on the court. 

Earning his place among tennis immortals, Nadal wasn't ready to step back, always finding a way to add something more to his game and change it after every severe injury he would experience. Celebrating numerous victories over the players from the top and heartbreaking losses, Rafa wishes to stay remembered for his legacy and the example he has given to the upcoming players, never breaking a racquet on the court and always giving his 100% against every opponent. Rafa will turn 35 in ten days, and he is still among the world's best players and a Major contender, celebrating the 36th Masters 1000 crown in Rome and hoping for a similar run at Roland Garros. 

"Numerous tournaments have indeed contacted me about joining the field, but things are different than in the past. To play, I have to be ready both physically and mentally; no one has unlimited batteries. When you are young, you have plenty of energy, but now you have to make decisions that sometimes you don't like and skip tournaments that you would love to play. In the future, I do not want to be remembered as a tennis player with numerous titles but the one who has left a good example for boys and girls; it is my only objective. If one thing I wish I could say that I have done well is that I have transmitted positive stuff on and off the court, something that makes me very satisfied," Rafael Nadal said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3urOiQQ

No comments