Breaking News

'Rafael Nadal getting to 21 will be a bigger achievement than...', says legend

Now very little is missing from the start of Roland Garros 2021, one of the most anticipated tournaments of the year and where Rafael Nadal can make history again. The Spanish champion, in the event of another victory in Paris, can break the tie with his eternal rival, Roger Federer, and become the only tennis player to reach 21 Grand Slam titles in his career. To the microphones of "Bleacher Report", the Spanish tennis player spoke on many topics, in particular on the subject of retirement and much more. "I am not preparing for Roland Garros 2021 just thinking that it is a way to overtake Federer and become the player with the most Grand Slam titles, but I think it is perhaps the most important tournament of my career. Obviously I would like to reach 21, but that is not the only thing that motivates me in Paris. In the last month I have grown a lot, winning a historic tournament like Rome gives me confidence, I really think I needed a week like the one at the Foro Italico " Rafa Nadal is also in the final phase of his career and many wonder when he will retire permanently from the sport. In this regard, the Spaniard commented: “The day he doesn't feel pressure, I think it will be time to retire. Without that kind of emotion it is difficult for me to play at the highest level, he is a personal person since I want to play well and I know that things are difficult to achieve. I look forward to the opportunity to play tennis again for a long time and remain competitive." Then he continued: “The way I approach each challenge has changed a bit with age, now I have a different approach. Compared to a few years ago I have more passion for this sport, maybe it is also the experience."

Evert pays tribute to Rafael Nadal

Chris Evert was recently asked to pick the more significant achievement between Rafael Nadal breaking Roger Federer's all-time Grand Slam record and Novak Djokovic registering multiple title wins at each Major. While speaking to Tennishead, 18-time Slam champion Chris Evert compared the two feats and said Nadal triumphing at Roland Garros for a record-extending 14th time would be a bigger achievement. “Probably Rafa getting to 21 (will be a bigger achievement than Novak Djokovic achieving multiple title wins at each Slam)," Evert said. "It would be his 14th French Open. That alone is spectacular but to break the record with Roger is impressive because the last 10 years Roger has been the ‘GOAT’." Chris Evert believes very few sporting achievements are comparable to Nadal's 14 French Open titles should he win in Paris. “Not to diminish Djokovic because as we saw in that last match Djokovic can beat Nadal on his day but I think Nadal, to win 14 French Opens has to be one of the greatest achievements in sports history period, not even in tennis,” Evert said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3vrbAHT

No comments