Breaking News

I taught Roger Federer to have a poker face, says former physio

In an interview to Sport.cz Pavel Kovac explained how he helped Roger Federer to get better mentally in tough moments. Kovac worked as a physioterapist with the Swiss for four years. 'I teached him a "poker face" to calm him down. I told him that he did not have to show emotions to other because he would help rivals', said Kovac. 'He slowly learned, it took some time before he realized he needed to be strong mentally. Sometimes he needed to throw the ball or shout, but he was a smart person.'

Many fans may envy Kovac's job, but there are also some bad sides: 'It may not look like this, but it is unbelievably busy. You basically live that athlete's life and your personal and familiar life is a little different. That's why I think this work suits more to younger guys. For example, when there was a European swing, we were travelling for nine weeks and I was home just for six days. I was lucky that kids were not so young anymore.'

Kovac last met Federer at the 2017 Laver Cup: 'I was there every day. For the first time here in Prague when he was training on the Stadiums. I met Tony Godsick, his manager, at the reception, he told me that Roger was just training, so I went to him and we spoke each other for a while. It was once again fun, like at old times.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2CFS7KP

No comments