Breaking News

I want to retire from tennis on my own terms, says Andy Murray

In a press conference at the Brisbane International, Andy Murray commented on his comeback to tennis. The British player is proud and happy for not having given up in tough moments during his hip injury. 'I owe it to myself to give myself a chance to get back to the level that I’m happy competing at… I want to go out on my own terms', said Murray. 'If I stopped six months ago or not given the hip time to recover, I may look back and regret that decision. As I’ve gotten older, and with the last 12 months, I can’t believe how quickly things can change. When I first had issues with the hip I was No. 1 in the world and 12 months later I was struggling. I thought I had time on my side. There’s nothing I’d rather do more than staying out on tour. I love the practice, the competition, the locker room. I want to play as long as I can. There are still things I want to achieve. Whether I am capable of doing that or not, we’ll see.'

Murray also commented on how he plans to avoid future hip issues: 'I have to be smart with how I train and manage [the hip] as best I can. Last year I was in more pain than I am now. It was a hard year in which I went through a lot, but I had to accept that pain was something I had to deal with. This time I’m trying to enjoy myself. I missed playing here and I’m going to go out and compete as hard as I can.'

Commenting on his future goals, Murray concluded: 'There are still things that I want to achieve. Whether I am capable of that I don't really know. I would love to win the French Open but because I have been so close so many times, the Australian Open is the one I would pick to win if I could. I missed playing here in Australia and I'm going to go out and compete as hard as I can.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2LD2UrS

No comments