Breaking News

Rafael Nadal should play 16 tournaments a year, says Uncle Toni

Toni Nadal believes that his nephew Rafael Nadal should not reduce the number of tournaments he plays throughout the season. The 17-time Major winner played just nine events this year and he has withdrawn from many ones. Toni said: 'This year he was not able to play more due to injuries he suffered but if he is doing well physically I think that playing 16 tournaments is enough and I believe that Rafael can cope with it.'

Toni stopped being Nadal's coach at the end of 2017 in order to work on a daily basis at his Academy: 'I keep doing what I like to, which is training, also in Spain. I feel very grateful for all what I lived with my nephew, but now at this new stage, I am very excited, trying to train the kids who come here to the Academy, bringing my knowledge to the younger people. I missed travelling, not being in Australia or in other many tournaments that I liked, but in the end, you get used to it and here the work does not lack.'

Toni also revealed some of the suggestions he gave to Rafa when he was a kid: 'I never told him impossible things on a tennis court. I told Rafael that he would play every ball as best as possible. It also means to move well, being committed in every moment, being 100% focused. It also requires a very high effort. You have no methods that make you have success without effort.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2ETcDsI

No comments