Breaking News

Thanasi Kokkinakis feels he belongs in Brisbane International main draw

Riding Australian star Thanasi Kokkinakis feels that he belongs in the Brisbane International main draw. 

The Australian saw off Chile's Christian Garin 6-2 6-4 in the Brisbane qualifying final round to secure a place in the main draw. 

Previously, the Australian beat Canadian Peter Polansky in straight sets in the qualifying first round. 

Kokkinakis, who debuted at the Brisbane event in 2014, hasn't played in the tournament's singles main draw since 2015. 

The world No. 151 also admitted to still feeling the consequences of damaging his kneecap at the Monte Carlo Masters in April. 

"I feel like I belong in the main draw. I was limited what I could do in the pre-season (with a knee injury) but I am getting there," Kokkinakis said post-match, per Tennis Australia. 

"Ever since Monte Carlo the knee gets a little sore after (matches) but it is okay when I play. I just need to stay on top of it but structurally there is nothing wrong with it."

Kokkinakis, a former world No. 69, has been drawn to face Jo Wilfried Tsonga in the Brisbane first round -- with the winner of that match facing No. 1 seed Rafael Nadal in the round-of-16. 

The Australian's previous two Brisbane campaign ended with a first-round exit in 2014 and a round-of-16 showing in 2015. 

Kokkinakis, who stunned Roger Federer at the Miami Masters this past season, is eager to put on a good Brisbane campaign. 

"I showed I can beat the top end players (in 2018). This is where I want to be (ATP main draw) but I have to get my ranking up – I look forward to doing well here," Kokkinakis added. 

Also read: Jordan Thompson, Alexei Popyrin awarded Sydney International wildcards

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2EZk8hJ

No comments