Breaking News

'At the US Open, most of the crowd was for Serena Williams' - Naomi Osaka

Naomi Osaka defeated Petra Kvitova in three sets, 7-6(2) 5-7 6-4, to win her second Grand Slam title in a row after the 2018 US Open. In press conference, the Japanese player was asked to describe how different was this match compared to the win over Serena. 'In New York, most of the crowd was for Serena. Here it felt like they were split a little bit. Yeah, I mean, honestly when I was playing her, and I heard the crowd was for both of us, I was very happy. At the same time I was just trying to focus on playing the match', said Osaka.

On not being able to win the match in straights, the 20-year-old added: 'I felt like I didn't want to have any regrets. I think if I didn't regroup after the second set, then I would have looked back on this match and probably cried ore something, so...'

On receiving the trophy by the Chinese Li Na, Osaka added: 'I didn't expect to see her there. At first I was very shocked. I wanted to cry a little bit, but I didn't want to cry on this, like, podium. So, yeah, I was really touched. I just felt really honored, I don't know, that she was giving me this trophy.'

Osaka said she made a huge effort to win the match: 'Now I'm just so tired. I don't know how anyone is awake right now. Maybe the next day I'll think about it more. But for me, I don't know, like I still feel very shocked. Like, I felt like the match wasn't completely done, but it was done, you know? It's one of those moments where you're fighting so hard. When it's finally over, you're still in the state of, like, competitiveness, so.. I just thought to myself that this is my second time playing a final. I can't really act entitled.'

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2HAsrUr

No comments