Breaking News

Dylan Alcott: I wanted to show that people with disability can be elite

An overwhelmed Dylan Alcott broke down after claiming his fifth consecutive Australian Open men's quad wheelchair title after he overcame some stiff competition from American David Wagner.

During the speech, Alcott broke down in excitement, after realizing that he has completed his childhood dream. Alcott was up 5-2 in the second set but let his American counterpart Wagner come back into the match by letting him take a 6-5 lead in the second set.

He eventually won the Australian Open title after winning the Second Set 7-6. "Today was a really special day. When I was 14-years-old and I was lying in bed and all I wanted to do was make it in the mainstream," Alcott said.

"I wanted to show that people with disability can be elite at what they do, that they can be normal people...I just wanted to see people with disability succeeding in the main stream media,” he added.

He the said, "Today with the broadcast of the Australian Open with Wide World of Sports this match was broadcast into every single TV in Australia. I hope this is just the start and we and keep it going.”

He ended his speech on a light note and said to everyone who was out there to support him – “I’m going to take this trophy to Garden Square and have a beer with every one of you!”

ALSO READ

Put Kvitova in bubble, she finds her Killer Instinct: Coach

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2CJUv1P

No comments