Breaking News

John McEnroe: Roger Federer, forgive me

Speaking on Eurosport, the seven-time Grand Slam winner John McEnroe clarified on his quotes about the changing of the guard that he mentioned just after the 20-year-old Stefanos Tsitsipas's win over the 37-year-old Roger Federer. "It might have gotten a little carried away when I talked about the changing of the guard. And I know Roger didn't take it so well. God, forgive me. But hey, you have to admit: this shaggy-haired teenager is the real deal," said McEnroe.

In his press conference after his loss on Sunday, 20th January Federer said: "He's in front of the mic a lot. He's always going to say stuff. I love John. I've heard that story the last 10 years. From that standpoint, nothing new there. About Stefanos, I think he's definitely done a really nice job now the last year and a half. I mean before that, too, obviously. But beating Novak in Toronto, the likes of Anderson and Zverev, now me here. That's what you need to do to get to the next level. He's doing that. It's really nice for him. I see him definitely being high up in the game for a long time. That was a good night for him tonight." 

Although Federer lost in the semi-final, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic's wins mean that the old guard is still going strong at the Majors. Nadal is looking to win his 18th Grand Slam, and second Australian Open title while Djokovic is attempting to win his 15th Slam, and seventh Australian Open title. 

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2MyqHtv

No comments