Breaking News

Rafael Nadal has a slight edge over Novak Djokovic,says Martina Navratilova

The 18-time Grand Slam winner Martina Navratilova believes that Rafael Nadal is the favorite to win the Australian Open final against Novak Djokovic. Speaking to reporters on Saturday, Navratilova said: "He likes to come to the net more than Djokovic ... he runs in there better than anybody. On this fast court I think it will pay off for him so that's why I give him the slight edge."

The Australian legend Ken Rosewall instead backed Djokovic: "I picked Novak to win the tournament. He's playing well and his semi-final win just showed how good he is playing. But the same could be said for Rafa as well. The final match is really a flip of the coin. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to five sets."

The former world No. 2 Alex Corretja believes that Rafael Nadal is slightly the favorite against Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open final on Sunday. Speaking on Eurosport, Corretja said: 'I do believe they are gonna play at their best, for Novak when he beat Nishikori it gave him a freshness to recover and then he played so well against Lucas. They head into the final believing they can do it, they have so much respect. Before the tournament I thought Djokovic would be the favorite to win, after I saw the way Rafa is playing I would give a little edge to him.'

Corretja also praised the new star Naomi Osaka: 'We are gonna have this new star for a decade. She may need to improve the slice, because I get the feeling that she can play the cross as she uses her left hand.'

Mats Wilander commented on Naomi Osaka being able to regroup following the second set loss against Petra Kvitova and then win the third set. 'It happens. And it's really difficult. But she had a good start in the third set, she managed to stay true to what the tactics was. "I am gonna play Kvitova this way". She started being closer to the baseline, she made some adjustements that I did not expect her make. She is born to be in this situation, she is not a choke. I am so impressed. She was the better player, there is no backhand like that on the women's game. She defends like Novak Djokovic and I have not seen before that you can be that quick, strong, change the rally, dictating. The second serve was much better and she realized that she had to hit it faster.'

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2RjgjGL

No comments