Breaking News

Retirement is going to be devastating for Andy Murray, says Sue Barker

In an interview to BBC, the 1976 French Open winner Sue Barker commented on Andy Murray's retirement from tennis.

Barker said: "To watch him this morning in tears in that media room, it just shows what it means to him. It is the realisation that he is facing the fact that his career is coming to an end sooner rather than later. Having seen the footage of Andy training in Philadelphia, jumping over these obstacles in the gym, it looked as though he was getting back to full fitness. I was a little disappointed in the tournament he played in Brisbane, then I heard he only won a couple of games against Novak Djokovic and I felt it was all going downhill. You want to do it on your own terms - not to be forced out because your body breaks down."

Barker also recalled the reasons that led her to retire back in the day. The situation was similar to Murray now: 'I had to quit because of injury and I was crying for weeks. I used to wake up in the morning and think 'what am I getting up for now?'. Every day had been planned around tennis, whether it was training, nutrition, playing, or travelling, it was my passion. I loved my career, and so I know for Andy it is going to be devastating. That is why he is so emotional about it because suddenly something that has been a huge, huge part of your life has been taken away, and I'm not sure how you ever replace that. For me, I still wish every day that I could play tennis again. It's such an incredible, wonderful job to have."

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2QJsMn3

No comments