Breaking News

Serena Williams is one of the greatest women ever to play, says Konta

At the 2017 Australian Open, following their quarter-final meeting, Serena Williams said that she "definitely" saw Johanna Konta as a future champion. The British player felt honoured to hear such praise and in an interview to Tennis Now she said: 'Serena is one of the greatest women ever to play, so I feel very privileged that she thinks of me so highly, but I think anyone can beat anyone on their day. Everyone at this level can play great tennis and sometimes it doesn’t come down to who’s more talented, it can come down to who wants it more. So yes, I do see different winners of the Grand Slams going forward. I also think it’s great for the fans.'

Konta and Serena faced each other twice: at the 2017 Australian Open Williams prevailed in straight sets, 6-2 6-3, and so did Konta in 2018 San Jose dropping just one game, 6-1 6-0.

Asked who is the toughest player she has ever played against, Konta added: "I think that a majority of the players on the circuit are tough, they have all earnt the right to be here, so I think it’s hard to pinpoint one particular player. There are so many tough opponents out there. Obviously, some game styles match up better than others but all of these women are here for a reason and they aren’t just going to give it to you."

On her goals for the 2019 season, Konta commented: 'It's also again about doing the best that I can do and trying to go about my tennis in the most professional manner possible. If I do that, then I believe my results will speak for themselves.'

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2DajXPH

No comments