Breaking News

Anett Kontaveit: I just tried to keep fighting

Anett Kontaveit became the first player to reach the Semi-finals of the Miami Open on the Women’s side of the draw, taking out giant seed killer Hsieh Su-wei in the last 8. The Estonian came back from a 0-4 deficit in the final set to eventually take out Hsieh 3-6, 6-2, 7-5.

33 year old Hsieh first took out fourth seed Caroline Wozniacki and then outgunned World No.1 Naomi Osaka to reach this stage and it looked like she would add Kontaveit’s name to her seed killing list, who comes into this tournament as the 21st

“I was so close to being out of there so many times,” Kontaveit told reporters. “I just tried to keep fighting and trying to stay in there and try and still be aggressive somehow. I was trying to think more about what I have to do than about the score.”

Speaking further about the performance, she said, “Today probably wasn’t the best match that I have ever played but I’m so happy to be through that,” said Kontaveit. “I feel like I fought really well and I never gave up.”

“I’m really, really happy with the improvements I’m making and being more positive with myself, whatever the score is, and all these little things that are getting better.”

Next up for the Estonian is the winner of a pulsating match between third-seeded Czech Petra Kvitova and Australian 12th seed Ashleigh Barty.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HXk2c0

No comments