Breaking News

Former player reveals what makes Roger Federer so special

Filippo Volandri praised Roger Federer for his game easiness and smartness in facing the opponents. Speaking on Sky Sport during the BNP Paribas Open, the former Italian player said: "The thing I like the most about Federer is how he takes time from you. It's not the forehand or backhand but how he makes you be in a rush. I like a lot when in the same rally he hits spin, slice in a different way with each other. And that's what may have made him so special."

Volandri also recalled his win over Federer at the 2007 Rome Open: "I was happy to have received the right gift because of the sacrifices I had done, although the sacrifice word may not be the right one. I gave everything for tennis, always with a lot of willingness. And on that day I was the happiest man in the world, I felt like I had touched the sky although I was already looking to the future preparing for the next match. And that was always an important part of myself, it means showing joy but staying feet grounded. I was always careful about how to eat, stay fit, taking the sport in a full way. The hairstyle was not as best as possible but it made me comfortable!"

"The Rome tournament is the biggest tournament for an Italian player. As a kid, when I was asked what event I would have liked to win, more than a French Open I always picked Rome. It's also true that in Rome a lot of Italian players didn't manage to deliver their best tennis throughout the tournament because that support that the Rome crowd gives you, wants it back. So you have to be ready to spend a lot of energy before, during and after the match. That's what makes it unique. And you have to earn the crowd because that's what makes a difference most of the times."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2UxhMvs

No comments